…that a 16-year-old peddler, Lion Lundore, was murdered by his older fellow peddler in 1902 in Tenecape, Hants County. His murderer apparently confessed to jealousy as the motive, as the younger man was making more sales. Lion Lundore is buried in the Moose Brook Cemetery. His murderer was hanged in Windsor.
…that the first Roman Catholic church in Enfield was transported from its site in Nine Mile River north of the Renfrew Road? It was eventually replaced, and the present-day St. Bernard’s serves the local Roman Catholic congregation.
…that the largest wooden sailing ship ever built in Canada was built here in Maitland, Hants County, NS? The W. D. Lawrence, named after its builder and owner, was built right outside Lawrence’s house. He could look out the window of his office on the second floor and watch the construction process.
…that Loyalist Captain John Bond was granted 23,000 acres of land in the Rawdon Township to settle the families that joined him in leaving South Carolina following the British loss of the American colonies during the American Revolution? The grant bordered on the Newport Township in West Hants and extended south toward South Rawdon.
…that during World War II, the Stanley Airport was built (1941) as part of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan? At the height of its operations, it trained four 30-student classes at the same time, whose students then went on to more advanced training elsewhere. Operations ceased with the end of the war.